Socrates Fellows Program
The specific goals of the Socrates Fellows program are to:
- Institutionalize and sustain permanent changes in the training of UCSD STEM graduate students
- Increase graduate student teaching and communication skills
- Prepare graduate students for work as science education professionals
- Facilitate improved high school science teacher content knowledge and use of inquiry-based methodologies
- Increase student interest and enthusiasm toward STEM careers, particularly for educationally underserved, economically disadvantaged groups
- Implement permanent changes to sustain ongoing communication between school districts and university researchers/graduate students
The Socrates Fellows Program, originally funded by the National Science Foundation as a GK-12 grant to UCSD.. This program connects PhD students and San Diego teachers to enhance the science classroom. These pairs develop and implement compelling, inquiry-based science lessons.
Are you a teacher looking for some exciting new lessons to bring to your classroom? Socrates projects are all based on cutting-edge research happening here at UCSD. Check out our Curriculum, arranged by subject!